First in the province

Appleton to be first NL town to use synthetic ice on rink

Matt Molloy mmolloy@ganderbeacon.ca
Published on December 13, 2011

The town of Appleton will be the first in the province to use synthetic ice on a skating surface.

On Monday, Kevin O'Brien, Minister of Municipal Affairs, joined Appleton Mayor Derm Flynn and Deputy Mayor Donna Stacey at the announcement at the Appleton Town Hall. Minister O'Brien announced the province is entering a 90/10 cost-sharing agreement with the Town of Appleton to bring the synthetic ice to Appleton, which will be used at the new outdoor skating rink.

Included in the approximately $150,000 purchase, which the government will pay 90 per cent of, is synthetic ice for a 55x100-foot rink, professional standard rink boards and glass, safety netting, and regulation hockey nets. The Town of Appleton will pay the other 10 per cent.

The equipment is two years old and was used as a demonstration facility in Halifax, N.S.

Be sure to pick up the Dec. 15 Beacon for more on this story, and keep checking back to www.ganderbeacon.ca.

mmolloy@ganderbeacon.ca