Former Trump adviser Peter Navarro was jailed on contempt of Congress charges

MIAMI — Former Donald Trump adviser Peter Navarro, who was charged with contempt of Congress last year, is set to surrender Tuesday at a Federal Bureau of Prisons facility in Miami to serve a four-month sentence.

Before turning himself in, Navarro held a press conference in a strip-mall parking lot across the street from the facility. Near a Papa John's, Navarro gave a long speech airing his grievances against the government and his prosecution, portraying himself as a victim of political persecution.

“I'll be proud to walk in there to do my time,” Navarro said. “I will gather strength from this: Donald John Trump is the nominee.”

On January 6, 2021, prior to the attack on the US Capitol, Navarro, who was closely involved in Trump's efforts to reverse his 2020 presidential election defeat, was charged with contempt of Congress. House committee hearing January 6. Ordered to surrender at Bureau of Prisons by 2pm on Tuesday.

Asked if he had spoken with Trump before his incarceration, Navarro claimed “executive privilege” over conversations with Trump, who is no longer the president of the United States.

“I'm going to have executive privilege on Donald Trump conversations,” Navarro told reporters, referring to conversations he had with Trump three years ago, when he stepped down as head of the executive branch on Jan. 20, 2021.

He surrendered hours after the Supreme Court rejected his 11th-hour reprieve. Last week, a federal appeals court in Washington, D.C. ruled that Navarro “has not shown that his appeal presents substantial questions of law or, conversely, a new trial, a sentence that does not include a prison sentence or conviction. A reduced prison sentence, which is the length of time already served.” and shorter than the expected duration of the appeals process.”

See also  Vibrio vulnificus: 3 people die from rare flesh-eating bacteria in Connecticut and New York

The House January 6 Committee subpoenaed Navarro in February 2022, but he refused to provide documents or testimony, making an elaborate claim of executive privilege. But as Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts noted, a federal appeals court ruled that Navarro could not completely ignore Congress and “still has an obligation to appear before Congress and answer questions that seek information beyond the scope of the asserted privilege.”

U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta said during Navarro's sentencing in January that he was “not a victim.”

“You're not the subject of a political case — you're not,” Mehta said. “You've got every procedure you're due.”

Kagouris-Solarana reported from Miami. Reilly reported from Washington.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *