Saturday, July 20, 2024

Vibrio vulnificus: 3 people die from rare flesh-eating bacteria in Connecticut and New York



CNN

At least three people in Connecticut and New York have died since the deal A rare flesh-eating bacteria It is found in warm, brackish water or raw shellfish, officials confirmed Wednesday.

Two people in Connecticut have died after contracting Vibrio vulnificus after swimming in two separate locations in Long Island Sound, said Christopher Boyle, director of communications for the state Department of Public Health.

According to the Department of Public Health, a third person became infected in July after eating raw oysters from an out-of-state facility. The department said the three were aged between 60 and 80 years.

The bacteria has also been found in a person who died on Long Island, Gov. Cathy Hochul announced on Wednesday. Authorities are still investigating the death in Suffolk County to determine whether the bacteria was encountered in New York waters or elsewhere, according to the news release.

Vibrio vulnificus comes from the same family of bacteria that cause cholera.

A mild case Bacterial infection resonance Can cause skin lesions, blisters, ulcers and sores. It usually includes chills, fever, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and vomiting. In more severe cases, people can develop septicemia. It is more common in people with underlying health conditions, especially liver disease, cancer, diabetes, HIV, or other diseases that suppress the immune system.

Anyone can get vibration sickness, but people with an open wound such as a cut or scratch, a recent piercing or a new tattoo should avoid exposing the skin. Warm seawater in coastal environments Or cover the area with a waterproof bandage, the message said.

See also  Timberwolves, Suns fight for every inch in first half

If a skin infection develops after exposure to the bacteria, doctors say it’s important to get treatment quickly.

Vibrio vulnificus causes 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths each year in the United States, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Officials in Connecticut and New York advise people to take precautions before consuming raw oysters or exposing them to salt or brackish water.

Connecticut Department of Public Health Commissioner Dr. Manisha Judani said, “People should consider the risk of consuming raw oysters, exposure to salt or brackish water and take appropriate precautions. Press release on July 28. “Especially during the hot summer months, bacteria are more likely to grow and contaminate raw shellfish.”

New York’s governor echoed those sentiments on Wednesday.

“Although rare, Vibrio bacteria have unfortunately arrived in this area and are extraordinarily dangerous,” Hochul said. “As we investigate further, it’s important for all New Yorkers to be aware and take responsible precautions to keep themselves and their loved ones safe, including protecting open wounds from seawater and avoiding raw or undercooked shellfish for those with compromised immune systems. Bacteria.”

Connecticut routinely monitors oyster harvesting areas statewide for Vibrio levels during the summer, and beginning in 2014, the state added requirements for oyster harvesting.

In part, oyster harvesters must shade the oysters while on a vessel and in high-risk areas, and the harvested oysters must be placed in an ice bath that reduces the internal temperature below 50 degrees Fahrenheit within three hours of harvesting. Department of Agriculture.

Latest news
Related news